Lent and Easter 2018: Gifts of the Dark Wood
Dante, in his epic poem, “The Divine Comedy” shares a part of his experience of life, as he writes in this one classic line, “In the middle of life’s journey, I found myself in a dark wood.” So this season we claim OUR journey as we do every year, wandering with Jesus into the wilderness—into the Dark Wood. We have an invitation to see life through new lenses, recognizing that experiences of failure, emptiness, and uncertainty are as critical for finding our way through life as they are unavoidable.
This Lenten season we are invited and encouraged to trust God in this particular terrain, so that we will find gifts of God, that lead us from our Brokenness into the hope and promise of Blessedness.
The Lenten Season
It is fitting that we are spending the season of Lent in preparation for our move. Lent is historically a time when the Church prepares for the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus through prayer and repentance. It is a time to reflect on our own shortcomings, both as individuals and as a community, and ask God to forgive us and restore us. Countless hours have been spent preparing our new building, let us spend these final weeks preparing our hearts. We will enter our new home as a holy and restored people.
Ash Wednesday Worship
- Wednesday, February 14
- 7:00 a.m. & 7:00 p.m.
Weekly Community Worship
Please join us for meaningful and moving worship during this Lenten season. Every Sunday @ 5pm It will be an inward Journey—but we won’t go it alone. It will require from us a willingness to trust the glory of God, even when we feel lost and uncertain—especially when we feel lost and uncertain.
- Every Sunday at 5:00 p.m.
Lenten Community Reflection Group, Holy Communion and Prayer
We will be blessed to gather in our Lenten Spiritual Learning Communities. Every Wednesday & Thursday during the season of Lent, we will gather at the ChurchHouse for a time of reflection and prayer led by members of KUCC.
- Wednesdays and Thursdays, February 21 – March 22
- 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Our KUCC daily Lenten devotional will provide the basis for a meaningful and engaging conversation in a small group setting.
We will have guides leading us through these beautiful Gifts of the Dark Wood as we find ourselves a long the way… we will be blessed to hear from one another in our daily KUCC Devotionals. (Sign up for emails here)
Holy Week Worship Opportunities
Palm Sunday Worship
- Sunday, March 25 at 5:00 p.m.
- Come worship with a parade and palm branches as we celebrate the journey of Jesus into Jerusalem.
Maundy Thursday Worship
- Thursday, March 29 at 7:00 p.m.
- Come and remember the Passover in the Upper Room and share in the meal that Jesus shared with his disciples.
Good Friday Worship
- Friday, March 30 at 7:00 p.m.
- You are invited into the darkness of this day—to watch and wait with Christ on the Cross. Beautiful Words, Music & Art will be offered.
The Easter Season
Eastertide begins on Easter morning and last 50 days ending with the celebration of Pentecost. This is a time of worship and celebration remembering Jesus’ promise to be with us always. It can also be a time of preaching and teaching about the early church and the many ways they shared the Good News of the Resurrection and created sacred space and home in their gatherings together. It is a time when the church lifts up that Christ Is Risen…Christ is Risen Indeed!
Great Easter Celebration and Sunrise Service!
- Sunday, April 1 at 7:00 a.m.
- Bessie Branham Park, 2051 Delano Dr NE, Atlanta GA
- Children’s Egg Hunt at 8:00 a.m.
- Easter Brunch following worship
Note: there will be no 5:00 p.m. worship on Easter Sunday. Everyone is invited to join us at the Sunrise Worship service.